Thursday, September 11, 2008

Things That Make Me Happy

Last evening we went to a resort where Bob, Suzie, and grandma Cooper were staying. They are a wonderful family who treated Bryce like one of their own while he was on his mission in West Virginia. They come to Central Florida once a year and we always get to enjoy their company for an evening while they are vacationing. They are fabulous cooks and the great meal they prepare is a bonus to a wonderful evening. Bob's mother is 92 years old but you would never know it! I think I have more wrinkles than she does and she has a better memory than I do! We look forward to their yearly visit!
Grandma is always so complimentary of Bryce. She truly loves him and he loves her back!
I finished my pumpkin patch the other day and it makes me happy when I look at it for a few reasons. First, it reminds me of the good time we had in Utah. While there, Aubrey discovered a blog that had these pumpkins and we decided to copy them. We picked out some fabrics together and vowed we would make them. The night before Gary and I left for home, I experimented with the first one, just to make sure Aubrey knew it could be done! I smile when I look at them now because the same blog inspired Ariann and she actually finished her "patch" before I did! In fact the tall green pumpkin is fabric that she gave me. I'm so tickled that my girls are learning and enjoying the art of sewing. Keep up the good work girls!
And this apron makes 6! That's the perfect number for a little squee tea party. Now if this ridiculous humidity would go away Kaity and I could plan one! I think it would be so fun to have it at the pretty gazeebo in the park. Maybe after hurricane season! Gratefully, the latest one-- Ike-- is headed to Texas instead of Florida. I'm praying it won't be too bad but I'm so glad it's them and not us!
One more thing that makes me happy.....My algebra subbing assignment was changed because an English teacher requested me. I only had to fake my way through algebra for a couple of days. Faking my way through Beowulf and Macbeth was far easier but I must admit, they too are a foreign language. Most of this teacher's English classes are senior A.P. (advanced placement) so there have been virtually no behavior problems. How refreshing!
I had to come up with my own "Journal" writing assignment this morning because the teacher forgot to leave one. Since today is the 7th anniversary of 9-11, I wrote on the board: "Where were you and what were you doing when you first learned of the attacks on 9-11 seven years ago?" I asked them what grade they were in at the time and most answered, "5th". When the students were finished, I asked if anyone wanted to share what they had written. Surprisingly, only one boy raised his hand. He told us that he had been across the street from the first tower that was hit. He had gone to work with his dad that day and described vividly what he had heard and seen. After he told us that he watched people jumping to their deaths he added that he and his father are still haunted by nightmares to this day.
Wow, I just realized that this last story doesn't go with the title of this post so I will end by saying, "Freedom, hard fought for by others, makes me VERY happy and grateful!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your pumpkins! It may inspire me to do some sewing!
How neat is Bryce to stay in touch with a neat family from his mission!
I thought your school assignment sounded like a really good one. How grateful I am for those who are protecting our freedom!
Diane - I have been re-reading the book and some of the words are not the most pleasant. I wrote the most pertinent info. on my blog. It is so true to how I feel when I am really sick that I had to print it. Hope it wasn't to depressing!

Nana's heart said...

Liz, I thought the excerpt was very enlightening. I'm going to look for the book next week. I think I have Monday off to run my errands and maybe clean the house. I know, tomorrow is Saturday but who wants to clean on Saturday?!

Unknown said...

How fun to see mission people!
They lok like really nice people!

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

Your pumpkins look good. I need to get you a string of garland to go around them. Maybe I will remember if I go out and about!

Ali said...

okay, so sign me up for an apron! Seriously, how can I buy one? I LOVE them!! I am no good at sewing. Lol