Saturday, September 6, 2008

Let Them Eat Crow!



If only my college algebra teacher could see me now! I am teaching algebra at the high school this week and no one would be more surprised than that dear professor who cut me slack every chance she got! That great teacher recognized after only a few weeks that I have a major math disability but she never gave up on me. In fact, she did everything in her power to get me through the course. Thanks to her and to "heaven" I actually got an "A" in the class. I deserved it. No one worked harder-------but today algebra is a foreign language to me. I can still see her face but have long forgotten her name. However, I will never forget a conversation I had with her after class one day. As usual I had been the last to finish an exam and she kindly asked if I wanted her to correct it so I wouldn't have to wonder and worry all weekend. I held my breath as she picked up the red pen. We were both ready for anything. I don't know who was more surprised when she announced that I had received the highest grade in the class! Her curiosity got the best of her and she finally asked in awe and disbelief, "How did you do that?"
I wasn't sure what to say. I knew we didn't share the same religion but I assumed she was a Christian woman because of the way she conducted herself and always treated me. I hesitated only a moment before I sincerely replied, "I'm working my butt off and praying my way through this nightmare."
She smiled and seemed to accept my explanation. Then she revealed to me that she had every confidence I would pass the course and be accepted into the school of education. She acknowledged that I would never teach high school math but had no doubt that I would make an excellent Elementary School teacher.
Her endorsement meant a lot to me and to this day I'm indebted to her but I've got to say, "Let her eat crow!" I'm teaching 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders algebra this week while their regular teacher enjoys the last weeks of her maternity leave.
Truth be told.......I tried to get out of it, admitting to the school secretary that a "math genius" I'm not, but they were desperate. Most subs don't want long term assignments so those poor kids got stuck with me! I've lost some sleep worrying about it but I've surprised myself too! Who knew I could fake it well enough to get by!
P.S. I realize I didn't take a picture of an algebra book but it's the only math book I have in the house. I bought it at a garage sale a few years back with the great intention of getting my skills up to a 6th grade level. Too bad I've never opened it! What a dreamer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane - you'll do great! I wish I had you for a teacher. Remember how we used to laugh in Mrs. Brady's english class? Be kind to the little brats!

Nana's heart said...

Liz I think I still have some of our "notes" from that class and I'm not talking about the kind to study from! I don't think I would have survived that class without you. Remember that poor woman's hair color? I hope someone will have the decency to tell me if I ever look that ridiculous!

Ali said...

Thanks so much for posting a comment on my blog!! I always wonder if my efforts are worth it! Thanks so much!

I have to tell you how darling the little aprons and such you have made for your grankids are! I LOVE them!

Unknown said...

You'll do great! Just fake it!
Good Luck!

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

You never give yourself enough credit! That drives me nuts! You are one of the smartest people I know!

ellyodd said...

If you ever get a student who doesn't get it, but way worse than you, you should get them tested for dyscalculia. It's real.