Saturday, July 12, 2008

What a Busy week!



Ooops! Don't know how I managed the duplicate and missed the one of Ariann at the sewing machine. Oh well, I don't have enough energy to try to figure out how to fix the mistake.
My dad used to tell me, "A change is as good as a rest." He's right! This week has been full of different tasks--some of them taxing, others challenging in a different way, but Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest and tomorrow I'm planning to cash in! I don't even have to play the piano for sacrament or primary. (I substituted for both places last week and nothing stresses me more on Sunday's than playing for Sacrament Meeting!) I can't resist writing that the last two times I have been roped into doing it I have sat with my hands literally shaking on the keys and my vision blurring. As I tried to calm my nerves and convince myself it was no different than all the times I had practiced during the week in my own parlor, and that no one pays attention to the prelude music anyway, the counselor conducting has stood at the pulpit and asked the congregation to "...PLEASE STOP TALKING and listen to the beautiful music that Sis. Davidson is playing for us." WHAT?? Are you kidding me?!! If I had dared take my eyes off the music for even a second I would have shot him a look that would kill and NO--I would NOT be willing to play at the funeral!

Ariann wants to learn to sew and even though I don't follow the rules (mostly because I don't understand the rules) she asked if I would help her get started. Saturday we made a cute pair of Capri pants for Katie with darling fabric that she bought some time back. She had also purchased a coordinating fabric for the top so she brought the kids over Thrusday and we got to work. She was quite patient and surprisingly didn't get discouraged when in my deep concentration to make everything sound and look simple, I ended up turning the waist of the pants into the hemline. Don't ask me to explain. I don't even know for sure how I discovered the error before it was too late. I'm indebted to the genius who invented 'seam ripper-outers'. It took us all afternoon to make the top but in fairness to us, we had a few interruptions, ie: telephone, lunch, and two kids! We are quite satisfied with the results.

Friday afternoon I went to the Bishop's Storehouse with my friend Terry Trombley to can everything from beans to powdered milk ( soup to nuts would have been tastier). We worked like dogs and both of us were feeling it this morning but we accomplished a lot in 4 hours. We have agreed that next time we are going to volunteer to be the "Label-slapper-on-ers". A task that required virtually no muscle or risk of breaking a nail! My biggest regret is not that I didn't order more Northern beans, but that I didn't bring my camera! We saved the worst chore for last--powdered milk. We were covered in the white stuff and really looked like Lucille Ball with our sanitary caps and attractive aprons. It was a great photo op, but as usual, I was unprepared.

Today Gary and I worked in the back yard and I'll just say it is always like trying to tame a jungle! The sad but true fact is--in two weeks time, no one--including ourselves--will be able to tell that we slaved all morning. Oh well, it's looking pretty good right now. If I would force myself to clean the screened in porch, we could sit out there and enjoy the view for a few days. Naw.....it's too hot and humid to sit and enjoy, let alone clean!

3 comments:

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

Can I just tell you how proud of you I am!? You blogged with pictures all by yourself! Great job! Thanks for the sewing lesson! I think that I might need some help on my next project as well. I don't know if I will remember all that you taught me!

Nana's heart said...

Ariann, thanks for not mentioning the duplicate mistake! I would hope you will need more than ONE more lesson--if not, you will really make me feel inferrior. Of course I could always look at it another way. I could tell myself it has nothing to do with how smart you are but with what a fabulous teacher I am! (Yea)

Unknown said...

Cute outfit girls!!!!! I can't waitfor you to make my girls one!:)
I totally feel your piano playing pain! There is nothing worse then people listening to JUST YOU! You did great, I am sure of it!