Saturday, July 26, 2008

Do Bad Things Really Happen in Three's?

Let's count:
1. Gary's newly purchased (used) scooter/motorcycle leaves us stranded (in the scariest part of town!) I have to ride my own scooter all the way home by myself to get the truck to retrieve a frustrated, angry, disappointed Gary.

2. Truck rides rough all the way back and dies when I pull into the convenience store parking lot. Dead Battery. LONG STORY SHORT..........replace battery.

3. Next day, Chevy Impala steering makes terrible noise when turning. (the added bottle of fluid collects on garage floor---never a good sign)

4. I follow Gary to the mechanic (who knows us on a first name basis) in the pick-up. Afterwards, he drops me off at home and continues on to work. Fifteen minutes later the phone rings-- Gary: "I have just coasted into a car dealership."
Diane (thinking he is mad about the Chevy and wants to look at new cars): "Why now? I thought you were anxious to get to work." (I decide to ignore the operative word--COASTED)
Gary, in as calm a voice as he can muster, "Funny. The (beep) truck died. They think it's the alternator."

5. Two days later, Gary on his way to work. My phone rings---it's him: "Call the dentist. I just looked in the rearview mirror. The veneers on my front teeth are GONE! I look like a hick from the sticks!"

6. Same day---the spare refrigerator dies. Thawing food leaves the garage smelling worse than normal.

7. Next evening, I walk under the air conditioning vent in master bedroom. Feel drip, drip on my head. Gary investigates (he is so handy). Drain hoses are completely clogged, bottom tray is filled with rusty, yuky water. He wants me to blow on the hose while he watches to see if there is any air getting through. I DON"T THINK SO! ---- VERY LONG STORY SHORT----no air conditioning that night. It's July. We live in FLORIDA!

8. Next day, Gary calls after meetings in Downtown Orlando. "I'm in a parking garage. The key won't turn in the ignition." RIDICULOUSLY LONG STORY SHORT: If you are going to break down, don't do it in a parking garage with a clearance of 8 feet 2 inches. It's nearly impossible for AAA to find a tow truck that will fit. They ended up sending out a 400 pound locksmith who squeezed himself under the dashboard, tore the ignition apart and cussed his way through yet another car repair. It's all good----as long as we don't tell anyone that nearly any key will now turn the ignition of our car.

That leads me to my next 2 questions:
1. Do bad things happen in multiples of 3? If so, since I'm on number 8, does that mean I can count the fact that the locksmith screwed up the air conditioning fuse as number 9?

2. What's the time limit on the 3 bad things rule? For example, if only 2 bad things happen in 24 hours and the infamous 3rd thing happens in hour 25, does that mean we have to start counting over? I sure hope not! I vote the cut-off is 7 days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness Diane! What a problem with motor-vehicles...just think you could be driving that disgusting pooh brown cadillac that Joe bought for me years ago. Luckily that thing bit the dust when Jason crashed it making a left turn. Thats when you told me, as long as a car gets you from point A to point B it's an okay car. Joe and I have used that phrase ever since then (living with all our old cars!) Sounds like you may have thought that
in the last several weeks. Here's to you getting a car that runs (or scooter) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Is Joe learning Chinese? Good question, I'll have to take that one up with him. I can really give him a bad time over that one! You mean I am putting up with this monstrocity for no good reason? HAHA

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane. Don't worry about the money till we see you. I'm excited to see everyone!-except Ariann and Bryce, sniff sniff. See you soon!

Unknown said...

Wow! You do have bad luck! That is funny about dad's teeth - they probably look like mine - dang gap!
Hopefully good luck will be coming your way soon!