Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles...MMMMM Good!

I have a wonderful picture of my fall recipe! Too bad Gary downloaded something new on our computer and now I have no idea how to post a picture on my blog. It's completely different and nothing I've tried works so, without picture you will just have to take my word for it....These pumpkin waffles looked good AND tasted great! I was going to make and blog my favorite apple cake recipe in honor of fall but Ariann beat me to it so I tried something new tonight in honor of our niece Kerrie who is also celebrating fall. Here's the recipe that made about 16 waffles. It was just Gary and I so I am going to try freezing them and hope that they will taste good straight from the freezer to the toaster to the plate to the stomach!

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk ( I make my own by adding 1 1/2 T of vinegar to milk)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 T. canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
Directions: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place a large baking sheet in the oven.
Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stir to mix well and set aside.
Combine the buttermilk, pumpkin, egg, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl, whisk until smooth. Add the buttermilk mixture and 1/3 cup water to the flour mixture and stir until a moist batter forms. Beat egg whites in a medium-size bowl with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into batter.

Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter for each 4 inch waffle onto the hot iron, spreading the batter to the edges. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the steaming stops. Transfer waffles to baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Serve with the Cranberry Honey (recipe to follow) or use raspberrie syrup like we did because our grocery store didn't have the fresh or frozen cranberries. I assumed they had them year round but apparently not. Here's the recipe if you want to try it. It sounds good but the raspberry was delicious too. Of course we had to garnish our waffles with cool whip and to make it a real dinner, we had a hunk of ham on the side!
Cranberry Honey: 3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries, divided
Bring the honey and cranberry juice to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of the cranberries and cook 5 minutes or until cranberries pop. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cranberries. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes about 1 cup.

2 comments:

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

sounds delicious. think we may have them for dinner. I can't get warm here. I wear a coat and sweatshirt all day and resist the urge to bake. Something about this cold makes me want to bake nonstop. Hopefully my waffles turn out!

Maxwell Family said...

Yummy recipe thank you for sharing it with me!
OUr family loves waffles and anythingpumpkin is a hit with my family.
I think about you a lot, I keep waiting to hear the good news...Your house SOLD!