Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Sis!

Today is Renie's birthday and since I forgot to get a card in the mail, I thought I would write a little tribute to her. No girl ever had a better sister! She's the best because:

1. She is patient. I can't count how many times she saved me in the middle of the night when I got up (in my sleep) looking for the bathroom and got lost in our closet. She always got me untangled and pointed me in the direction of the toilet!

2. She has always been a great example. Growing up, Renie was a hard act to follow but I tried. I wanted to do all the "neat" things she had done. School choirs, Seminary Choir, Pep Club, good grades, working the summer at a state park, serving a mission....the works! Obviously, I was no carbon copy!

3. She wanted me to be the best I could be. Sometimes that meant teaching me a hard lesson like the time she hid my clothes in mom's old "Ironright" because I couldn't seem to keep my part of our bedroom clean!

4. She is forgiving. Proof: She didn't even try to get even when I took advantage of the fact that our voices were identical and pretended to be her when her boyfriend called. That was an interesting conversation as I recall!

5. She is adventurous. She showed me the ropes when it came to exploring apple orchards in Price and the gulley and river at the end of Hannibal St. in Salt Lake, and sneaking upstairs to raid the refrigerator in the middle of the night. Too bad there was never much in it worth stealing!

6. She is generous. Renie includes Aubrey in lots of fun things with her family. That means so much to me. She included me as well when they went to a Hawaiian Leu-ow (I have no idea how to spell that so I resorted to phonics) when I was there on a visit. What a great memory!

7. She is the best cheerleader! Anytime I need encouragement I call my big sister and she sings my praises, doing her best to convince me that I'm doing MY best and it really is good enough!

8. She really listens and then uses her God-given gift to listen to The Spirit so she will know just the right thing to say when comforting me.

9 She is non-judgmental and always looks for the good in people and situations. Example: Last week when I finally got on a scale and discovered that my weight is the highest it has been in quite awhile she sincerely said, "I saw a picture of you on your blog and your legs are really skinny!" (I guess I am lucky to have such long legs. They are hiding some of those extra pounds!)

10. She understands me. She makes me laugh when I want to scream or cry, but only after she has listened to my detailed description of same traumatic event, and assures me that she would have felt or reacted exactly the same way. She doesn't know it, but the ultimate complement she pays me is when she says, "We are so much a like!" In many ways we are, but I know I have a long way to go in measuring up to her. She has set the bar high but is too humble to even know it!

I am SO thankful for my sister. She really is the best! I love you Renie. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

5 comments:

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

I love aunt Renie too. She is just like aunt joyce!

Unknown said...

How did I miss this post??? What a great sis you have! I need to pay her a visit soon! Oh, Does she know to check this?

Camie said...

Yes I told her! Happy birthday MOM!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are busy as usual! Tell the family hi for me. Loved your blog. Hope you can read mine ok, didn't really know what I was doing.a

Anonymous said...

Notice the difference on my blog. I don't know what I did, but when it signs me off it signs gramme and on my blog name it spells grammie...